George Glezmann, an airline mechanic held hostage by the Taliban, praised President Donald Trump Friday upon his return from two-and-a-half years in captivity.
The U.S. State Department secured Glezmann’s release through negotiations with the Taliban in Qatar Thursday after his family spent years pleading with former President Joe Biden’s administration to free him. The now-freed hostage, who was taken hostage in December 2022 when visiting Afghanistan, credited Trump for his freedom.
“I feel born again, I’m in debt with the president. President Trump is amazing, you know, thank God he is in the White House where he got me out,” Glezmann said. “Marco Rubio, Mike Waltz, Adam Boehler. I’m in debt with everybody that was involved in this situation because they got me home. A free American individual [is] free from the hands of these people that abducted [me] because of my U.S. passport and I’m just thankful. I’ve got no words to express my gratitude for my liberty, my freedom.” (RELATED: Wife Of American Detained By Taliban Reveals What Biden Told Her In Long-Awaited Call)
WATCH:
Glezmann’s wife, Aleksandra, pleaded with Biden to take action on her husband’s behalf in July, according to The Wall Street Journal (WSJ). Despite having reached out to the White House to confirm whether the letter had reached the then-president, she had not received confirmation on whether Biden had read it, the WSJ reported in September.
“We are not wealthy or famous people,” his wife wrote. “I beseech you to intervene personally in George’s matter and do everything in your power to bring him home.”
Glezmann’s family planned on meeting directly with the Taliban captors because they felt the Biden administration had not sufficiently communicated with them. Aleksandra expressed concern because her husband suffered from a benign tumor on the left side of his body, respiratory problems and failed vision in his left eye.
Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Thursday that the administration will “continue its tireless work” to free all Americans wrongly detained overseas.
“George’s release is a positive and constructive step,” Rubio said. “It is also a reminder that other Americans are still detained in Afghanistan. President Trump will continue his tireless work to free ALL Americans unjustly detained around the world.”
Two other American hostages, Ryan Corbett and William McKenty, were released the night of Trump’s inauguration on Jan. 20.
The Taliban took control of Afghanistan in Aug. 2021 after the U.S. withdrew from the nation under Biden’s administration. Thirteen American soldiers died in the Abbey Gate bombings near Kabul Airport during the withdrawal.
The Trump administration also negotiated the release of Marc Fogel, who had been detained in Russia since 2021 for possessing medical marijuana in an airport.
All content created by the Daily Caller News Foundation, an independent and nonpartisan newswire service, is available without charge to any legitimate news publisher that can provide a large audience. All republished articles must include our logo, our reporter’s byline and their DCNF affiliation. For any questions about our guidelines or partnering with us, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.