Featured

Karoline Leavitt Shuts Down Atlantic Reporter’s ‘Sensationalist’ Signal Group Chat Story

The White House is refuting claims made by The Atlantic that a top national security group chat involving members of President Donald Trump’s administration was accidentally infiltrated by a journalist, and that it contained detailed war plans.

White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt issued a statement Tuesday accusing The Atlantic and its editor-in-chief Jeffrey Goldberg of using “sensationalist” reporting tactics to amplify a false narrative.

The response comes a day after Goldberg published a story claiming he had been inadvertently added to a private Signal messaging thread that included White House National Security Advisor Mike Waltz, U.S. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, Secretary of State Marco Rubio, Vice President J.D. Vance, and other top Trump officials.

Elon Musk Called This Financial News ‘Terrifying’

Goldberg wrote that he was unexpectedly included in the encrypted chat and had access to what he described as sensitive discussions about a military operation targeting Houthi rebels in Yemen.

According to his article, Hegseth shared operational details “several hours before” the strike was carried out, including information on targets, weapon types, and attack sequencing.

“What I will say, in order to illustrate the shocking recklessness of this Signal conversation, is that the Hegseth post contained operational details of forthcoming strikes on Yemen, including information about targets, weapons the U.S. would be deploying, and attack sequencing,” Goldberg wrote.

In response, Leavitt dismissed the reporting and denied the presence of any classified or sensitive military information in the chat.

American Made Patriotic Apparel – Save 15% with Promo Code MERICA

“No ‘war plans’ were discussed. No classified material was sent to the thread,” Leavitt said in a post on X.

“The White House Counsel’s Office has provided guidance on a number of different platforms for President Trump’s top officials to communicate as safely and efficiently as possible.”

She added that the White House is investigating how Goldberg’s phone number ended up in the group chat in the first place.

“As the National Security Council stated, the White House is looking into how Goldberg’s number was inadvertently added to the thread,” she said.

Leavitt also stated that the Yemen strike was successful and focused on the results.

“Thanks to the strong and decisive leadership of President Trump, and everyone in the group, the Houthi strikes were successful and effective. Terrorists were killed and that’s what matters most to President Trump.”

President Trump addressed the matter himself during remarks to reporters on Monday.

When asked about the group chat and the alleged leak, Trump said he was not aware of the situation.

“You mean the attack on the Houthis? Well, it couldn’t have been very effective because the attack was very effective,” Trump said, according to The Hill.

“I don’t know anything about it, you’re telling me about it for the first time.” He also said The Atlantic is “not much of a magazine.”

Despite the administration’s pushback, the article has continued to generate speculation across Washington, D.C.

According to sources speaking anonymously to The Wall Street Journal, some White House staffers are uncertain about what action, if any, will be taken in response to the incident.


The opinions expressed by contributors and/or content partners are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views of LifeZette. Contact us for guidelines on submitting your own commentary.



Source link

Related Posts

1 of 94