Vice President JD Vance threw cold water on rumors that Elon Musk will be stepping back from his work with the Department of Government Efficiency (DOGE).
The vice president addressed talk of a Musk departure during an appearance on “Fox & Friends” Thursday, as he said the billionaire Tesla CEO is “not even close to done.”
While Musk’s role at the White House has long been understood to be a temporary one, Politico reported that President Donald Trump has been indicating that the DOGE chief would be “stepping back” soon, a claim that Vance dismissed as “total fake news.”
JUST IN: VP JD Vance has just CONFIRMED Elon Musk WILL stay on as an advisor
Cue the leftist tears
VANCE: “The report I saw was total FAKE NEWS… The work of DOGE is not even close to done. The work of Elon is not even close to done.” pic.twitter.com/rrcLKzGZsf
— Nick Sortor (@nicksortor) April 3, 2025
“I want to get to some other news because there was some reports that came out that Elon Musk is leaving. Now of course the president said he was only going to be here for a temporary basis,” Lawrence Jones said. “Tell us about that. DOGE will continue after Elon Musk, will he still be an advisor to you and the president? You have a great relationship.”
“First of all, that report I saw was total fake news. Elon came in and we said, we need you to make government efficient, shrink bureaucracy that thwarts American people and also costs way too much money,” Vance replied. “And we said, that’s going to take about six months, and that’s what Elon Musk signed up for, but of course, he will continue to be an adviser. And by the way, the work of DOGE and Elon is not close to done.”
“DOGE has a lot of work to do. And yeah that work is going to continue after Elon leaves, but fundamentally, Elon is going to remain a friend and advisor of me and the president and he’s done a lot of good things,” Vance continued. “People don’t realize how vast and uncontrolled bureaucracy was. We’ve started to chip away at it, but there is a lot of work to do. It’s not going to happen all in six months. It’s going to take a long and committed effort.”
White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt slammed the Politico piece, posting on X: “This ‘scoop’ is garbage,” prompting a reaction from Musk himself.
Yeah, fake news https://t.co/nPhTpZj3Fc
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) April 2, 2025
Fox News anchor Bret Baier asked Musk about his 130-day plans in an interview last week.
“I think we’ll have accomplished most of the work required to reduce the deficit by a trillion dollars within that timeframe,” Musk said.
Earlier this week, Trump responded to questions about Musk in the Oval Office.
“I think he’s been amazing, but I also think he’s got a big company to run,” the president said. “And at some point, he’s going to be going back. He wants to.”
“I’d keep him as long as I could keep him,” Trump said. “He’s a very talented guy. You know, I love very smart people. And he’s very smart, and he’s done a good job.”
DONATE TO BIZPAC REVIEW
Please help us! If you are fed up with letting radical big tech execs, phony fact-checkers, tyrannical liberals and a lying mainstream media have unprecedented power over your news please consider making a donation to BPR to help us fight them. Now is the time. Truth has never been more critical!
Success! Thank you for donating. Please share BPR content to help combat the lies.
We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.