The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) announced Wednesday that the University of Maine System (UMS) has agreed to comply with President Donald Trump’s executive order that prohibits biologically male athletes from competing in women’s sports.
The announcement comes after the USDA temporarily paused federal funding to UMS last week amid a Title IX compliance review.
The USDA just froze MILLIONS to University of Maine system as agency reviews compliance with EO banning trans athletes.
Trump and Gov. Janet Mills recently had an exchange where the governor refused to comply with the EO. Trump made crystal clear that funding would be cut. pic.twitter.com/8HeT0fDJs5
— Stacy Washington (@StacyOnTheRight) March 16, 2025
Elon Musk Called This Financial News ‘Terrifying’
The funding was reinstated shortly after UMS confirmed its commitment to following federal guidelines, which the USDA says now align with Trump’s directive.
“After the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) initiated a Title IX compliance review regarding federal funding, the University of Maine System (UMaine) has clearly communicated its compliance with Title IX’s requirement to protect equal opportunities for women and girls to compete in safe and fair sports, as articulated in President Donald J. Trump’s Executive Order,” the USDA said in its statement.
American Made Patriotic Apparel – Save 15% with Promo Code MERICA
The agency added a warning for continued compliance: “Any false claim by the UMaine can, and will, result in onerous and even potentially criminal financial liability.”
The University of Maine System, which includes eight public universities across the state, had received $29.78 million in USDA funding in fiscal year 2024 alone.
According to USDA estimates, the system has received over $100 million in recent years.
UMS Chancellor Dannel Malloy responded to the development in a statement to Fox News Digital, saying the university system is pleased the matter has been resolved.
“The University of Maine System has always maintained its compliance with state and federal laws and with NCAA rules, which the U.S. Department of Agriculture also affirmed in a press release today,” said Malloy.
“We are relieved to put the Department’s Title IX compliance review behind us so the land-grant University of Maine and our statewide partners can continue to leverage USDA and other essential federal funds to strengthen and grow our natural resource economy and dependent rural communities through world-class education, research and extension.”
The dispute between the federal government and the state of Maine began after President Trump made clear during a February 20 meeting with Republican governors at the White House that funding could be withheld from any state allowing transgender athletes to compete in girls’ sports.
Maine was named directly in that meeting.
The following day, Maine Governor Janet Mills’ office issued a statement threatening legal action if federal funds were withheld.
Hours later, tensions escalated when Governor Mills and President Trump had a heated exchange at a bipartisan governors’ meeting held at the White House.
President Trump calls Maine Gov. Janet Mills (D) out to her face over her refusal to comply with the executive order keeping men out of women’s sports:
“You better do it — because you’re not going to get any federal funding at all if you don’t.” pic.twitter.com/uMUZsy1j6t
— Rapid Response 47 (@RapidResponse47) February 21, 2025
Following the exchange, the U.S. Department of Education announced it would launch an investigation into Maine for potential violations of Title IX stemming from the inclusion of transgender athletes in girls’ sports.
.@USDA has initiated a compliance review of the University of Maine following the state’s disregard for @POTUS’ EO, “Keeping Men Out of Women’s Sports.”
Let me be clear: Any institution that chooses to disregard it can count on losing future funding. https://t.co/osiJI53yiB pic.twitter.com/lMJICdGXiA
— Secretary Brooke Rollins (@SecRollins) February 22, 2025
Separately, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) has already concluded that the Maine Department of Education violated Title IX.
HHS warned that it will refer the matter to the Department of Justice if the state does not agree in writing to comply with the executive order.
“What HHS is asking of the Maine Department of Education, the Maine Principals’ Association (MPA) and Greely High School is simple — protect female athletes’ rights. Girls deserve girls-only sports without male competitors. And if Maine won’t come to the table to voluntarily comply with Title IX, HHS will enforce Title IX to the fullest extent permitted by the law,” said Anthony Archeval, acting director of the Office for Civil Rights, in a statement to Fox News Digital.
The NCAA has also updated its gender eligibility policy, barring athletes born biologically male from competing in women’s sports, aligning with the executive order.
The opinions expressed by contributors and/or content partners are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views of LifeZette. Contact us for guidelines on submitting your own commentary.