FeaturedNewslinksNewslinks March 2025

Newslinks for Wednesday 5th March 2025

Trump tells Congress Zelensky is ready to negotiate

“Donald Trump told Congress that he had been given a letter by the Ukrainian president, who said he wants peace and is ready to come to the negotiating table. “I appreciate that he sent this letter, just got it a little while ago,” Mr Trump said, in a sign of warming relations between the warring leaders. Reading aloud the letter to the House, he added: “We really do value how much America has done to help Ukraine maintain its sovereignty and independence. Regarding the agreement on minerals and security, Ukraine is ready to sign it at any time that is convenient for you.” Mr Trump said he has spoken to Russian officials who have signalled they also want to secure a peace deal.” – Daily Telegraph

  • Zelensky to ‘make things right’ with Trump – Daily Telegraph
  • Trump teases peace deal – The Times
  • And Trump praises Zelensky letter offering peace talks – Guardian
  • President says Putin is ready for peace – The Sun
  • Washington bans Britain from sharing any US military intelligence with Ukraine – Daily Mail
  • Russia sends warship into Channel to escort suspected arms shipment – Daily Mail
  • How Starmer raised the stakes to get Zelensky talking – Daily Telegraph
  • No Plan B if Starmer fails to close gap between Ukraine and US – The Times
  • What is Trump’s strategy with Ukraine — and can Kyiv appease him? – The Times
  • Trump says ‘just getting started’ – Guardian
  • Trump open to deals with Canada and Mexico – The Times
  • And Trump could announce compromise on Canada and Mexico tariffs imminently – Daily Telegraph
  • President admits tariffs will cause “a little disturbance” – FT
Comment
>Today:

Vance accused of denigrating British troops

“JD Vance has denied denigrating Britain’s war record after making comments suggesting that the UK and France had not fought a war in 40 years. The US vice-president wrote on X that it was “absurdly dishonest” to suggest he was speaking about France and the UK when he said that America’s minerals peace deal was “way better” than a security guarantee from “some random country that hasn’t fought a war in 30 or 40 years”. His initial comments caused a backlash, including from the former chief of the British Army, who accused Mr Vance of having become “power crazy”. On Tuesday morning, the US vice-president appeared to backtrack on what he said, writing on X: “I don’t even mention the UK or France in the clip, both of whom have fought bravely alongside the US over the last 20 years and beyond.” – Daily Telegraph

  • Vance criticised after comments on Anglo-French peacekeeping plan – FT
  • And Vance branded a ‘clown’ for slur on Britain’s 636 war dead – Daily Express
  • Britain to mark 80th anniversary of VE Day with four days of celebrations – Daily Telegraph
Comment
>Today:

Sunak admits ‘Stop the Boats’ slogan was too stark

“There is one phrase, one slogan, one promise which is associated with former Prime Minister Rishi Sunak more than any other. It is “Stop the Boats”. Yet, in his first wide-ranging interview since leaving Downing Street, the former prime minister says he regrets ever saying it because it was “too stark..too binary”. And he concedes that it couldn’t actually be delivered. This is just one of the “lessons from Downing Street” which the man who presided over the worst ever election defeat for the Conservative Party says he’s learned, in a conversation lasting more than two hours for the Political Thinking podcast.” – BBC News

Miliband clashes with Reeves over net zero promises

“Ed Miliband is facing a Cabinet backlash led by Rachel Reeves over his net zero plans, amid concerns they risk hampering growth and will threaten thousands of industrial jobs. The Energy Secretary is understood to have received pushback from ministers including Ms Reeves, the Chancellor; Jonathan Reynolds, the Business Secretary; and Heidi Alexander, the Transport Secretary, following recent clashes over electric vehicle sales targets and the closure of a major oil refinery. Behind the tensions are fears that Mr Miliband’s department is pushing too hard to cut carbon emissions, which is hurting the competitiveness of key industries such as steel, carmaking and chemicals, according to sources in business and Whitehall.” – Daily Telegraph

  • Worker protections strengthened in employment bill – FT
  • Kendall attempts to win over OBR with benefit reforms – FT

Chancellor earmarks billions in spending cuts

“The Treasury has earmarked several billion pounds in draft spending cuts to welfare and other government departments amid expectations the chancellor’s room for manoeuvre has all but been wiped out. The department will put the proposed cuts to the Office of Budget Responsibility (OBR), the official forecaster, on Wednesday ahead of the Spring Statement later this month. Sources said it was evident that “the world has changed” since the Budget last October, when the OBR indicated that Chancellor Rachel Reeves had £9.9bn in headroom against her self-imposed borrowing targets.” – BBC News

  • We’ll slash public spending to hit higher defence target, hints Reeves – Daily Telegraph

Reeves vows to use defence spending to support UK’s ‘left behind’ industrial towns

“Rachel Reeves has said UK companies and jobs will be prioritised under the government’s plans for a significant increase in defence spending, with an aim to support “left behind” industrial towns and the economy at large. Announced by Keir Starmer last week amid growing fears over Donald Trump’s commitment to European security, the government will increase defence spending to 2.5% of GDP by 2027 – worth an additional £6bn a year. With European leaders scrambling to strengthen their military capabilities, the chancellor said the spending would also benefit jobs and growth in Britain as the state sought to spend more money with UK-based defence companies.” – Guardian

Private schools forced to close blame Labour’s VAT raid

“A dozen private schools have blamed the Government’s VAT raid for forcing them to close since the policy was first touted. Twelve schools have directly linked their closures or planned closures to Labour’s tax raid, while scores more have shuttered since the policy was first seriously discussed by the party. The policy came into force on Jan 1, and made private school fees subject to 20 per cent VAT for the first time. According to Department for Education statistics, 77 private schools and independent specialist schools in England have shut down since it was revealed in October 2023 that Labour would apply VAT to fees within its first year of power.” – Daily Telegraph

Anger as Commons Speaker bills taxpayers more than £500 for ‘an extra suitcase’

“Commons Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle billed taxpayers more than £500 to take ‘an extra suitcase’ on one of his lavish jaunts, it can be revealed. A list of Sir Lindsay’s expenses reveals he lodged the claim during a nine-day trip to South Africa and St Helena, a British Overseas Territory in the South Atlantic. The total cost of the sojourn was £23,643, including £21,300 on First and Business Class flights with British Airways and South African carrier Airlink. But the small print shows how ‘£504 was paid to bring an extra suitcase onboard’ during the jaunt, which was also enjoyed by two of Sir Lindsay’s staff. His office last night said the spend was necessary because the baggage allowance on the Johannesburg-St Helena leg of the trip, operated by Airlink, was less than the London-Johannesburg BA leg.” – Daily Mail

  • Commons Speaker’s £180k bill for first-class flights and hotels – The Times
More comment
News in Brief

Source link

Related Posts

1 of 94